Code of Ethics
This Therapeutic Musician Training Program agrees to teach, enforce and/or abide by the following principles:
- Admissions: When a student applies for admission, our program provides a syllabus of course offerings and a complete list of requirements for graduation, a notice of nondiscrimination, policies outlining the students’ rights and responsibilities, disclaimers, tuition fees and refund policies. A disclosure will be made to students at the time of admission about any financial reimbursement that our program receives from any facility for services provided by therapeutic musician students / interns.
- Qualifications: The qualifications, titles, and professional affiliation(s) of representatives of our program will be presented accurately. If any of the aforementioned information is referred to incorrectly, appropriate steps will be taken to correct any misrepresentation.
- Respect: Our program will respect the rights of others to hold values, attitudes, diversity of cultural traditions, and musical preferences and opinions. We will teach our students that proselytizing any religious beliefs through choice of music or speech during a therapeutic music session is unacceptable and unethical.
- Practice: Our program will practice with integrity, honesty, fairness, and respect for others. It will not engage in any type of discriminatory or exploitive relationship(s). Any serious ethical violations observed will be reported to the appropriate agency or persons.
- Confidentiality: All patient information and records, and all information observed or shared in the course of student instruction and/or clinical practicum will be held as confidential according to Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act (HIPAA) Privacy Rule requirements.
- Public Statements: Our program will release public statements that are truthful and objective, and will protect the proprietary interests of patients and professional colleagues.
- Self-Interest: Our program will avoid actions, which promote self-interest at the expense of the profession, and will uphold the standards of any employers/contractors with honor and dignity.
- Corrective Action: Our program has a disciplinary policy and procedure that is fair to both the student and the program. A grievance procedure is in place.
- Camaraderie: Our program will work cooperatively with other Therapeutic Music Programs for the advancement of the profession. Our program will not knowingly damage the professional reputation or practice of others.